What’s the most unusual eating experience you’ve had when travelling? I have heard some horror ones and some of them actually feature in this episode of The Thoughtful Travel Podcast. I am not a very courageous eater when it comes to highly unusual foods but my guests have another approach entirely!
Do you think we miss out by not trying all the foods in a place we travel to? Sometimes I would like to be a little more adventurous (and I’m much better than I used to be). Food for thought … pun intended!
Show notes: Episode 106 of The Thoughtful Travel Podcast
Unusual Food Experiences on Your Travels
Sometimes food is the whole reason for a trip, but other times, like what we’ll hear about in Episode 106 of The Thoughtful Travel Podcast, it’s the unusual food experiences (planned or unplanned) that are what you remember.
In this episode I chat first with Eva Westerling, who had some particularly unusual eating experiences while on a ten-day hike in the desert in Oman. Some parts of this chat are not for the squeamish!
Next up I talk with Jacky Lamenzo about comfort food when we travel and about her experiences of eating like the locals when she was a teacher in China.
Finally, I talk with Matt and Marilyn from Words With Winos about some of the more unusual foods they have tasted on their travels around the world, particularly in Asia – and if you don’t like creepy-crawlies, you may not want to imitate them!
- My tasty sponsor Bokksu – remember to use THOUGHT5 to get $5 off any order of amazing Japanese snacks
- Eva’s blog Not Scared of the Jet Lag
- Jacky Lamenzo – blog post about her food experiences in China
- Marilyn and Matt’s site Words with Winos
- Episode 62 on Foodie Lessons from Travel
- Episode 23 on Foreign Food
- Episode 1 on Food in a Foreign Language
- Join our Facebook group for Thoughtful Travellers